Monday, May 29, 2006

bankroll thoughts

Bankroll management has certainly been a problem for me the past few years. Although i've cashed out over 2k in winnings since I started playing poker online back in Summer of '04, I have always lost my bankroll somehow by jumping up too high in limits or tilting it all away. With the start of this journal, and trying to fully utilize PokerTracker and PA-HUD, I'm trying to change that pattern. Back in November '05-February '05, I played on PokerStars $1/$2 6max tables and sustained a >3.00BB/100 hands winrate. Now granted, this is my first month of playing on Party Poker $1/$2 6max...the BB/100 hands i'm looking at right now is a horrendous 1.80BB/100 hands. It might just be a slow month, but I'm thinking that it really might be that I match up better with my opponents at P'Stars, simply because they are a little bit smarter so I wont find myself session after session battling 3 people to the river to hit their gutshots and having them hit.

---------------edited------
I'm going to set up a stop-loss limit now under Tiburon's advice, since I've never really set one up. Its going to be hard to strictly follow this rule, because when i feel like i have to play, my laptop is there right in front of me and its so easy to just double click the PartyPoker icon and play. I think I will set this at
-30BB (-$60),
-----------------------------

PartyPoker has been frustrating the shit out of me, well just the $1/$2 6max limits anyway. the highest my bankroll has ever been was $900ish, and ever since I started playing $1/$2 limit, it seems as if I'll go on this nice run and increase my bankroll to about $800-$900 and then I'll hit this brutal downswing and grind it out around $300-$400ish and then run it back up to $800ish and then the cycle repeats. I'm thinking about cashing out my entire bankroll and depositing it back into PokerStars. Or maybe I'll switch to playing full-ring limit...

Its weird...even on PokerStars where at $1/$2 limit 6max i've had a 3.87BB/100 hands win rate after 29k hands, I never ran my bankroll high enough to sufficiently play $2/$4 limit. I mean, I could have, if I didn't cash out some funds every now and then, but I'm really itching to play $2/$4 simply because i've just about had enough of these suckouts that seem to be happening on a regular basis. Granted I know the competition at $2/$4 isnt that much better, but at $1/$2 the common argument i hear is, "its only $1 more and so i called"... when i played a couple of sessions at $2/$4 i still noticed a lot of chasing, but it was significantly less than at $1/$2 and they had slightly better holdings too.

I'm going to try a session or two at full ring and see how it goes, 6max variance is a bastard.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Two buy-ins is okay, but consider the size of your bankroll.

Your roll is ~$400, so if your stop-loss is at $100, are you comfortable in losing 25% of your bankroll in a single session? I sure as hell wouldn't be. I'd buy-in for $60 (30bb) and single table, or if you want to really push, buy in as you mentioned for (25bb) $50 and press your luck.

Whatever the stop limit is, STICK WITH IT. If you lose to your stop-loss, QUIT playing. Immediately. Put the computer down and back away. Don't go back until you've had a full night's sleep AWAY from poker.

Your bankroll will thank me later.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home